Jot is a new type of writers conference. For one thing, it’s cheaper (free). For another, it’s shorter (one night, four hours). And last, you actually get time to write (yes, write).
When we started throwing around the idea of creating our own writers conference, we knew that in order to be successful, it would have to fill some unmet needs. West Michigan is already home to Breathe, Maranatha, and bi-annually, Calvin College’s Festival of Faith and Writing.
So what were the needs that we saw going unfilled? While the writers conferences mentioned above are all wonderful conferences in their own right, they all require significant investments in both time and finances. What if we made a conference for writers like us, strapped for cash and too busy to write when we want to?
Thus was Jot created. We’ve done five of them now. #6 will be held September 12, 2015 at Lowry’s Books and More in Three Rivers, Michigan. The world will never be the same.
So if you come, what can you expect?
- Short presentations on the writing life, on the publishing process, and writing tips for flash fiction.
- Enough time between presentations to actually write.
- Access to the presenters to ask 1-on-1 questions.
- No admission cost.
- No running across campus to walk in five minutes late to a presentation that you really wanted to see because the previous presentation ran long.
- A beautiful setting with a snacks and drinks available for purchase.
Are you looking forward to a west Michigan’s only free mini-conference as much as we are?